FOLK ON EVENT INFO
Due to COVID-19 capacity restrictions, Newport Folk will be doing things a little differently this year. We’ll be extending our dates to present two unique 3-day events of surprise performances, storytelling, and workshops at Fort Adams – July 23rd through July 25th and July 26th through July 28th.
Rules & FAQs
No harassment of any kind! All fans are welcome regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, body size, disability, appearance, religion, citizenship, or pregnancy.
WHAT TIME DOES EVERYTHING OPEN?
HEALTH SCREEN PRE-PROCESS: begins at 8:30am
BOX OFFICE: opens at 9am
PARKING: opens at 8am / SHUTTLES begin at 9am
GATES: open at 10am
FOOD, CRAFTS, MERCH: 10am
OPEN MIC: 10am-11am
Times subject to change. Sign up for our email list to be notified of any changes.
IS THERE CAMPING ON-SITE?
Sorry, no camping is available at Fort Adams State Park but there are campgrounds not far from the event grounds. Check out this google map of campsites in the area. Also, check out visitrhodeisland.com in the Recreation/Camping section for additional suggestions.
IF I LEAVE THE EVENT GROUNDS, CAN I GET BACK IN?
No, there is no re-entry into the Event whatsoever. We have everything you need inside the site. To ensure our fans’ safety and efficiency of our entry operations, there will be no daily in-and-out or re-entry permitted. Our top priority is to provide a safe experience for all fans, employees and artists. The Fort Adams Visitors Center is located inside the event grounds, granting fans access to permanent bathrooms and an ATM. We ask that you please pack accordingly to adjust to this policy.
WHAT IS ALLOWED INTO THE EVENT GROUNDS?
- Soft sided coolers only.
- Bags under 20”x20”x10” will be permitted inside the venue.
- An individual blanket (maximum size 6’x8′).
- Strollers that are reasonably sized and do not obstruct the view of others’
- Low-seat chairs (under 30″H) are preferred to ensure good viewing for your neighbors. These are only allowed outside no chair zones. No chairs above 34″H will be allowed in and no recliners or footrests allowed. If your chair has a shade cover, it must be left in the down position. Any higher seated chairs that still fit the height restrictions should be set up farthest from the stage or in designated shade areas.
- Small baby beach cabanas are allowed in designated shade areas, only as space allows. Chairs between 30″ and 34″ high are allowed in these areas as well, including with shade covers in the up position. No pop-up tents allowed.
- In the event of rain, umbrellas are allowed in the venue and in seating areas but must be closed and stored during sets so as not to obstruct the views of others.
- Cameras are permitted but cannot be used to reproduce the event and must not interfere with other fans’ enjoyment of the event (NO AUDIO CAPTURING ALLOWED & NO PROFESSIONAL DETACHABLE LENSES).
MEDICATION & PRESCRIPTIONS
You are allowed to have your prescribed medications (we want you to stay healthy!). Over the counter medications are allowed. If you are bringing prescription medication, please make sure to bring a valid photo ID that matches the name printed on your prescription. If you need to refrigerate any medication (including insulin), please stop by the medical tent and someone will assist you.
WHAT IS PROHIBITED?
- No harassment of any kind! All fans are welcome regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, body size, disability, appearance, religion, citizenship, or pregnancy.
- Hard coolers, glass containers of any kind, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances of any kind, firearms, noise-making devices, laser pointers, knives, box cutters, tools of any kind (including Leathermen), pepper spray, Mace, or any kind of item that could be used as a weapon. Beverages in plastic bottles or cans must be factory-sealed.
- Flag poles
- Commercial audio visual equipment
- No bag larger than 20”X20”X10” will be permitted inside the venue.
- No beach umbrellas or beach balls (because they could end up in the bay and hurt the wildlife)
- No chairs over 34″H are allowed in the park. No recliners or foot rests allowed.
- No chairs over 30”H are allowed in lawn seating areas.
- No chairs are allowed in the “no chair zones.”
- Chairs using roofs and other shade structures are prohibited in lawn seating areas and must be used in designated shade areas only.
- No pop-up tents
- No pets
- No plastic straws
- No plastic bags
- Please leave your selfie sticks at home.
- No drones. Any use of drones/UAS in the vicinity of any public open air event would violate Rhode Island’s Uniform Aeronautical Regulator Act (UAR) and Aeronautics Regulations, constituting a misdemeanor. Please leave them at home for the safety of all our event-goers.
In the event of an emergency, please follow the directions of the event staff and listen for stage announcements.
If severe weather is observed in the area we will make the proper announcements via our stage PA systems including the severity of the storm, evacuation, and event suspension. Safety of our patrons is of the utmost importance to us.
RAIN OR SHINE
Be prepared with sunscreen, sunglasses, one water bottle and a raincoat. Newport Folk/Jazz is rain or shine!
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING
If you experience odd behavior or see something you know shouldn’t be there, say something. Please report suspicious behavior to any Security, Event Staff member, or medical personnel.
Please be prepared for heightened security. All attendees are subject to bag checks and wanding.
There is a First Aid Care Station which is staffed by Rhode Island DMAT, and is located outside of the East Gate. It is staffed each day from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Do not hesitate to visit our medical tents if you experience any health problems. Stay hydrated!
Enhance Your Experience
BEER & WINE GARDENS
All patrons must be 21+ to enter gardens. IDs will be checked at entrances and over 21 wristbands will be issued. Over 21 wristbands are good all weekend so please keep it on. Cash and credit cards are accepted in the gardens. Food & other beverages are also available. Read all signs carefully.
Beer Garden Hours: Noon – 6:30PM
FOOD & CRAFT VENDORS
For 2021 vendor inquiries, please fill out this form.
Bring a piece of Newport Folk home with you! Stop by our 2021 merch booth near the entrance to grab your official gear or buy select items in advance and avoid the lines: Official Online Shop
COMING WITH CHILDREN?
Children 15 & under must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Proof of age may be requested. Children 2 & under are free.
The Lawn Stage viewing area is uncovered and includes no chair zones, lawn seating areas, a small section of first-come first served seating (there is no reserved seating section) and an ADA area. Patrons may bring blankets or low-backed lawn chairs (max 30”) for lawn seating areas. No tents, chair roofs, umbrellas or shade structures are allowed in lawn seating areas. Quad Stage is covered with limited seating. Seating is first-come, first-served in these locations. You may be asked to leave this section between sets to give other fans an opportunity to sit in those sections.
NO CHAIR ZONE & CHAIR HEIGHT
There will be a standing/dancing zone in front of the Lawn Stage, house left. Low backed chairs (30” or less) and blankets are allowed outside of the no chair zone (house right) and in most other areas of the park. Although we do not clear out the standing/dancing area in between sets, we do make sure that this area remains a standing-only zone while artists are performing. The audience is welcome to sit down in this area in between performances, but we do not permit anyone to put out blankets, chairs, or other personal items as a means of spot-saving. Chair height will be checked in the chair zones at the Lawn Stage. Chairs or structures over 30” will be moved to the back of the house.
ADA SEATING: An area at the Lawn Stage is reserved for disabled patrons. This section is located in a roped off area to the side of the sound board. This area is accessible by a paved road from the event entrance. Because space is limited, each disabled patron is allowed one guest to accompany. Seating is not provided in this area so guests should bring lawn chairs. The Quad Stage will have an area reserved for disabled patrons on a first-come first-served basis as well.
Parking for patrons with disabilities is located in a designated lot at Fort Adams State Park. The regular parking fee must be paid. When entering the Event site, vehicles with patrons needing access to this lot must show their handicapped license plate or placard, or other state-issued identification. The holder of the placard or identification MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle. There will be a shuttle bus fitted with a wheelchair accessible lift to bring patrons from the parking lot to the event entrance, running from 9am until the end of the day. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500. Service charges apply to all tickets purchased online and by phone.
1) All sales are final; no refunds or exchanges for any reason.
2) All artists, set times and stages are subject to change.
3) Events take place rain or shine. If severe weather becomes an issue and we need to interrupt programming, announcements will be made regarding safety procedures. Programming will resume when deemed safe.
4) All persons, bags and personal items are subject to inspection before entering the event. No bag larger than 20″x20″x10″ will be permitted inside the venue.
5) Any ticket holder that directly or indirectly interferes with the enjoyment of the event may be asked to leave the venue and may be subject to arrest and prosecution by State/Local Authorities.
6) The event will continue to make every effort to ensure socially acceptable behavior in order to allow ticket holders to enjoy the event.
7) Newport Folk encourages a smoke-free environment and asks that you respect the health of your neighbors at the event and refrain from smoking in any area where it may affect someone else. Smoking is prohibited under all tents and inside buildings. Please find an isolated area if you must smoke, and dispose of your butts properly.
8) Newport Folk & Jazz Festival allows ADA* recognized service animals trained specifically to assist a person with disabilities at all events. Animals whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA and are not permitted at events. If you have a certified service animal, you’ll be required to have your service animal with you at all times. Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices.
*Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the definition of “service animal” is limited to a dog (or pony) that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability who is in attendance. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person’s disability. Under the ADA, “comfort,” “therapy,” or “emotional support animals” do not meet the definition of a service animal – U.S. Dept. of Justice
Ticket questions: email@example.com
Artist submissions: fill out this form
Partnership opportunities: firstname.lastname@example.org
General questions: email@example.com
Media Request Application: fill out this form
Volunteer interest: fill out this form
Food vendor spots are full for the year.
Due to COVID-19, we are only inviting Rhode Island craft vendors to the Fort this summer. If you are interested, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All 2021 memberships are full. We will have 2022 membership updates in the near future.
GETTING BACK TO THE FORT
Newport Festivals Foundation has worked hand-in-hand with state government and health officials to ensure our events will set a benchmark for safety through our protocols and guidelines. We have committed to the following protocols and guidelines to increase the safety of our artists, fans, staff, vendors and volunteers. This will be the first time that some of you attend a large event since early 2020, which is why we set safety protocols above and beyond what the State of Rhode Island requires of us. We appreciate your cooperation and participation.
WILL PROOF OF VACCINATION OR TESTING BE REQUIRED?
As an attendee, you and your friends and family will be required to provide one of the following to enter the venue:
Note: if you are attending with a child under the age of 12, the child must be accompanied by a vaccinated adult.
All ticket buyers will receive an email from CrowdPass to begin the screening process. If you have not, please check your spam or promotions folder.
WHAT IS CROWDPASS
While we strongly advise you to bring your vaccination card or negative test results paperwork to the Fort this summer, all ticket holders are being asked to upload their documentation to CrowdPass – a software platform specifically designed for large outdoor events – so we can pre-screen and expedite your entrance into our event. The CrowdPass system will require you and your guests to answer health questions, upload your vaccination card or provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test administered no more than 72 before you arrive.
If you are fully vaccinated, please complete the CrowdPass verification process as soon as possible to expedite the screening process and get you into the venue as quickly as possible! Once your vaccination card has been uploaded to the platform, it typically takes 1-2 hours for your status to be verified. If you provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test, you will submit your proof of the negative test via CrowdPass no earlier than 72 hours before you arrive at the venue. If you try to submit earlier than 72 hours your submission will be rejected.
If you are attending the Folk event on any or all of these days: July 23, 24, 25, click here to complete the pre-screening process.
If you are attending the Folk event on any or all of these days: July 26, 27, 28, click here to complete the pre-screening process.
If you are attending days from both events (or all days), you must complete both pre-screening processes.
Once CrowdPass verifies your proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 test, you will receive a digital health pass by email to present along with your tickets before you enter the venue. Health pre-screening will begin each morning at 8:30AM at Fort Adams State Park.
CrowdPass safely hosts attendee’s health screening data for a contact-tracing period of 28 days and then disposes of all data after that. CrowdPass is HIPAA-compliant and uses the latest best practices for encryption, certificate and key management, backups, monitoring and logging. If you still don’t feel comfortable uploading your vaccination card, bring a vaccination card onsite.
If you require a COVID Test we will post testing locations in the Newport area ahead of the event. These tests are free of charge.
Please share this information and the correct date link from above with your family and friends attending with you. If you have any questions, email email@example.com. If you are experiencing technical issues with Crowdpass, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARE MASKS REQUIRED?
The 2021 Newport Folk event will be held entirely outdoors. We have made specific changes to our site and operations that allow for increased physical distancing of attendees. One of these changes includes maintaining a reduced capacity of approximately 50%. Based on current guidelines from the State of Rhode Island, Newport Festivals Foundation will not require masking outdoors, however, please respect your fellow Folk fans who choose to wear a mask.
We strongly suggest mask-wearing for all attendees in certain scenarios and locations, including, but not limited to:
- If you are not yet fully vaccinated (we took a survey that indicates this applies to approximately 2% of you)
- While waiting in line at the ticket gate
- In line at food vendors, beer and wine gardens, merchandise and/or craft areas
- In other scenarios where you are unable to maintain a minimum distance of 3 feet from attendees outside of your household
Please continue to check back here for updates.
Thanks to our partner, PURELL®, there will be freestanding and tabletop dispensers of hand sanitizer for you to utilize throughout the venue.
Please be respectful to fellow attendees who choose to wear a mask and/or maintain physical distancing from others. This will be the first time that some of you attend a large event since early 2020, which is why we set safety protocols above and beyond what the State of Rhode Island requires of us. Thank you for your cooperation and patience. See you at The Fort!
GETTING TO FORT ADAMS STATE PARK
Fort Adams is located at 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI. One of the park system’s national treasures, Fort Adams is situated at the mouth of Newport Harbor with panoramic views. The event at the Fort features music, food and crafts, beer and wine gardens. Newport Folk is held rain or shine.
For bike info, visit bikenewportri.org/park-bike
BY WATER SHUTTLE
Newport Harbor Shuttle runs continuous service during the event weekend between Perotti Park and Fort Adams. It’s a 15-minute trip and reservations are not required. In case of inclement weather, please check with the ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here:
Folk & Jazz: oldportmarine.com
The Jamestown Newport Ferry runs continuous service to Fort Adams with departures from One East Ferry Wharf in Jamestown and Perotti Park in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with the ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here:
SeaStreak offers a ferry service between Providence and Newport. Regular service runs from India Point in Providence to the Seastreak Ferry Terminal at 39 America’s Cup Avenue in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with the ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here:
Folk & Jazz: seastreak.com/ferry-routes-and-schedules/between-providence-newport-ri/
Fort Adams State Park in Newport, RI is about 1.5 hours from Boston and 3.5 hours from New York City. Get directions to the Fort from your location.
There is limited on-site car parking available at Fort Adams State. PLEASE NOTE PARKING IS CASH ONLY. Motorcycle parking is also available on-site for $10. As parking is limited and we love Mother Earth, carpooling is encouraged!
Parking for patrons with disabilities is located in a designated lot at Fort Adams State Park. The regular parking fee must be paid. When entering Fort Adams State Park site, vehicles with patrons needing access to this lot must show their handicapped license plate or placard, or other state-issued identification. The holder of the placard or identification MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle. There will be a shuttle bus fitted with a wheelchair accessible lift to bring patrons from the parking lot directly to the event entrance, running from 9 am until the end of the day. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500.
For a complete list of Newport lodging properties and general travel information, visit Discover Newport.
25 America’s Cup Avenue, Newport, RI
THE NEWPORT HARBOR HOTEL AND MARINA
49 Americas Cup Avenue, Newport, RI
THE NEWPORT INN
353 Spring Street, Newport, RI
No camping is offered through the festival, but there are several campgrounds in the area. To see a map of those closest to Fort Adams, click here.
Insightful information to help plan, explore, and experience Newport and our coastal communities.