FOLK ON EVENT INFO
AS OF JUNE 17, 2021
Due to COVID-19 capacity restrictions, Newport Folk will be doing things a little differently this year. We’ll be extending our dates to present two unique 3-day events of surprise performances, storytelling, and workshops at Fort Adams – July 23rd through July 25th and July 26th through July 28th.
WHAT COVID-19 SAFETY MEASURES WILL BE IMPLEMENTED?
We are working intimately with state and local government as well as health officials to ensure our events will set a benchmark for safety and transparency throughout our protocols and communication. At the moment, it’s too early to publish our safety protocols in full detail. The conditions of the pandemic are evolving daily and trending in a positive direction. The safety of our fans, artists, staff, vendors and volunteers remains our top priority. We will communicate and publish detailed protocols as the event date gets closer so you know exactly what to expect. Please note that you will most likely be subject to certain health protocols required at the time of the event that could include proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test, temperature checks, social distancing and mask-wearing.
Rules & FAQs
No harassment of any kind! All fans are welcome regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, body size, disability, appearance, religion, citizenship, or pregnancy.
WHAT TIME DOES EVERYTHING OPEN?
HEALTH SCREEN PRE-PROCESS: begins at 8:30am
BOX OFFICE: opens at 9am
PARKING: opens at 8am / SHUTTLES begin at 9am
GATES: open at 10am
FOOD, CRAFTS, MERCH: 10am
OPEN MIC: 10am-11am
Times subject to change. Sign up for our email list to be notified of any changes.
IS THERE CAMPING ON-SITE?
Sorry, no camping is available at Fort Adams State Park but there are campgrounds not far from the event grounds. Check out this google map of campsites in the area. Also, check out visitrhodeisland.com in the Recreation/Camping section for additional suggestions.
IF I LEAVE THE EVENT GROUNDS, CAN I GET BACK IN?
No, there is no re-entry into the Event whatsoever. We have everything you need inside the site. To ensure our fans’ safety and efficiency of our entry operations, there will be no daily in-and-out or re-entry permitted. Our top priority is to provide a safe experience for all fans, employees and artists. The Fort Adams Visitors Center is located inside the event grounds, granting fans access to permanent bathrooms and an ATM. We ask that you please pack accordingly to adjust to this policy.
WHAT IS ALLOWED INTO THE EVENT GROUNDS?
- Soft sided coolers only.
- Bags under 20”x20”x10” will be permitted inside the venue.
- An individual blanket (maximum size 6’x8′).
- Strollers that are reasonably sized and do not obstruct the view of others’
- Low-seat chairs (under 30″H) are preferred to ensure good viewing for your neighbors. These are only allowed outside no chair zones. No chairs above 34″H will be allowed in and no recliners or footrests allowed. If your chair has a shade cover, it must be left in the down position. Any higher seated chairs that still fit the height restrictions should be set up farthest from the stage or in designated shade areas.
- Small baby beach cabanas are allowed in designated shade areas, only as space allows. Chairs between 30″ and 34″ high are allowed in these areas as well, including with shade covers in the up position. No pop-up tents allowed.
- In the event of rain, umbrellas are allowed in the venue and in seating areas but must be closed and stored during sets so as not to obstruct the views of others.
- Cameras are permitted but cannot be used to reproduce the event and must not interfere with other fans’ enjoyment of the event (NO AUDIO CAPTURING ALLOWED & NO PROFESSIONAL DETACHABLE LENSES).
MEDICATION & PRESCRIPTIONS
You are allowed to have your prescribed medications (we want you to stay healthy!). Over the counter medications are allowed. If you are bringing prescription medication, please make sure to bring a valid photo ID that matches the name printed on your prescription. If you need to refrigerate any medication (including insulin), please stop by the medical tent and someone will assist you.
WHAT IS PROHIBITED?
- No harassment of any kind! All fans are welcome regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, body size, disability, appearance, religion, citizenship, or pregnancy.
- Hard coolers, glass containers of any kind, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances of any kind, firearms, noise-making devices, laser pointers, knives, box cutters, tools of any kind (including Leathermen) pepper spray, Mace, or any kind of item that could be used as a weapon. Beverages in plastic bottles or cans must be factory-sealed.
- Flag poles
- Commercial audio visual equipment
- No bag larger than 20”X20”X10” will be permitted inside the venue.
- No beach umbrellas or beach balls (because they could end up in the bay and hurt the wildlife)
- No chairs over 34″H are allowed in the park. No recliners or foot rests allowed.
- No chairs over 30”H are allowed in lawn seating areas.
- No chairs are allowed in the “no chair zones.”
- Chairs using roofs and other shade structures are prohibited in lawn seating areas and must be used in designated shade areas only.
- No pop-up tents
- No pets
- No plastic straws
- No plastic bags
- Please leave your selfie sticks at home.
- No drones. Any use of drones/UAS in the vicinity of any public open air event would violate Rhode Island’s Uniform Aeronautical Regulator Act (UAR) and Aeronautics Regulations, constituting a misdemeanor. Please leave them at home for the safety of all our event-goers.
- All sales are final; no refunds or exchanges for any reason.
- All artists, set times and stages are subject to change.
- Events take place rain or shine. If severe weather becomes an issue and we need to interrupt programming, announcements will be made regarding safety procedures. Programming will resume when deemed safe.
- All persons, bags and personal items are subject to inspection before entering the event. No bag larger than 20”x20”x10″ will be permitted inside the venue.
- Any ticket holder that directly or indirectly interferes with the enjoyment of the event may be asked to leave the venue and may be subject to arrest and prosecution by State/Local Authorities.
- The event will continue to make every effort to ensure socially responsible behavior in order to allow ticket holders to enjoy the event.
- encourages a smoke-free environment and asks that you respect the health of your neighbors at the event and refrain from smoking in any area where it may affect someone else. Smoking is prohibited under all tents and inside buildings. Please find an isolated area if you must smoke, and dispose of your butts properly.
- Newport Folk allows ADA* recognized service animals trained specifically to assist a person with disabilities at all events. Animals whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA and are not permitted at events. If you have a certified service animal, you’ll be required to have your service animal with you at all times. Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices.
*Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the definition of “service animal” is limited to a dog (or pony) that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability who is in attendance. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person’s disability. Under the ADA, “comfort,” “therapy,” or “emotional support animals” do not meet the definition of a service animal – U.S. Dept. of Justice
Ticket questions: email@example.com
Artist submissions: fill out this form
Partnership opportunities: firstname.lastname@example.org
General questions: email@example.com
Media Request Application: fill out this form
Volunteer interest: fill out this form
Food vendor spots are full for the year.
Due to COVID-19, we are only inviting Rhode Island craft vendors to the Fort this summer. If you are interested, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All 2021 memberships are full. We will have 2022 membership updates in the near future.
GETTING TO FORT ADAMS STATE PARK
Fort Adams is located at 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI. One of the park system’s national treasures, Fort Adams is situated at the mouth of Newport Harbor with panoramic views of the Newport Bridge and the East Passage. This summer’s events at the Fort will feature 2 stages of music, food & crafts, two beer & wine gardens and a number of displays. The events run rain or shine.
For bike info, visit bikenewportri.org/park-bike
BY WATER SHUTTLE
Newport Harbor Shuttle runs continuous service during the event weekend between Perotti Park and Fort Adams. It’s a 15 minute trip and reservations are not required. In case of inclement weather, please check with the ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here. oldportmarine.com
The Jamestown Newport Ferry runs continuous service to Fort Adams with departures from One East Ferry Wharf in Jamestown and Perotti Park in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with the ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here. conanicutmarina.com/jamestown-newport-ferry-tours-cruises/routes-and-schedule
SeaStreak offers a ferry service between Providence and Newport. Regular service runs from India Point in Providence to the Seastreak Ferry Terminal at 39 America’s Cup Avenue in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with the ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here. seastreak.com/ferry-routes-and-schedules/between-providence-newport-ri/
There is limited on-site car parking available at Fort Adams State. PARKING ACCEPTS CASH ONLY. Motorcycle parking is also available on-site for $10. As parking is limited and we love Mother Earth, carpooling is encouraged!
Parking for patrons with disabilities is located in a designated lot at Fort Adams State Park. The regular parking fee must be paid. When entering Fort Adams State Park site, vehicles with patrons needing access to this lot must show their handicapped license plate or placard, or other state-issued identification. The holder of the placard or identification MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle. There will be a shuttle bus fitted with a wheelchair accessible lift to bring patrons from the parking lot directly to the event entrance, running from 9 am until the end of the day. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500.
For a complete list of Newport lodging properties and general travel information, visit Discover Newport.
25 America’s Cup Avenue, Newport, RI
THE NEWPORT HARBOR HOTEL AND MARINA
49 Americas Cup Avenue, Newport, RI
THE NEWPORT INN
353 Spring Street, Newport, RI
No camping is offered through the festival, but there are several campgrounds in the area. To see a map of those closest to Fort Adams, click here.
Insightful information to help plan, explore, and experience Newport and our coastal communities.