2023 FESTIVAL INFO
FAQs & General Policies
All are welcome at Newport Folk Festival and Newport Jazz Festival regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, body size, disability, appearance, religion, citizenship or pregnancy. We have a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination or harassment of any kind.
WHAT TIME DOES EVERYTHING OPEN?
Box Office: 9:00 AM
Parking: 8:00 AM
Parking shuttles: 9:00 AM
Gates: 10:00 AM
Food, crafts and merchandise: 10:00 AM
Music: 11:00 AM
Beer and wine gardens: 12:00 PM
Times subject to change. Sign up for our email list to be notified of any changes.
IS THERE CAMPING ON-SITE?
There is no camping at Fort Adams State Park, but there are campgrounds nearby. Visit visitrhodeisland.com/hotels-more/campgrounds for more information.
IF I LEAVE THE EVENT GROUNDS, CAN I GET BACK IN?
There is no re-entry to the festival grounds. The Fort Adams Visitors Center is located inside the gates, providing permanent bathrooms and an ATM. Please pack accordingly for the day.
WHAT IS ALLOWED?
- Empty refillable water bottles to use at refillable water stations
- Soft-sided coolers
- Bags under 20”x20”x10”
- Blankets 6’x8’ or smaller
- Chairs under 34” high
- Chairs under 30″ high are allowed outside of the no-chair zones. Chairs 30-34” high should be set up farthest from the stage or in designated shade areas. No recliners or footrests are allowed. If your chair has a shade cover, it must be left in the down position.
- Small baby beach cabanas in designated shade areas and as space allows
- Canes and similar mobility assistance devices like trekking sticks are permitted as long as there are no metal points protruding from bottom, or concealed.
- Personal umbrellas in the event of rain, but must be closed during performances
- Point-and-shoot cameras are permitted, but cannot be used to reproduce the event and must not interfere with other fans’ enjoyment of the event. Be present!
- Medications and prescriptions
- Over the counter medications are allowed. If you bring prescription medication, please bring a valid photo ID that matches the name printed on your prescription. If you need to refrigerate any medication (including insulin), please visit the medical tent and someone will assist you.
WHAT IS PROHIBITED?
- Discrimination or harassment of any kind
- Bags larger than 20” x 20” x 10”
- Glass containers
- Hard coolers
- Beach umbrellas or beach balls
- Un-sealed beverages
- Alcoholic beverages
- Illegal substances
- Tools including knives, box cutters and Leathermen
- Pepper spray, mace, or any item that could be used as a weapon
- Flag poles
- Professional audio, photography and video equipment (no detachable lenses)
- Laser pointers
- Chairs over 34″ high, recliners and chairs with foot rests
- Chairs are prohibited in “no chair zones”
- Chairs with roofs and shade covers outside of designated shade areas
- Plastic bags
- Plastic straws
- Pop-up tents
- Selfie sticks
- Canes and Trekking Sticks with metal points protruding from bottom (or concealed)
- Drones: use of drones/UAS in the vicinity of any public open air event violates Rhode Island’s Uniform Aeronautical Regulator Act (UAR) and Aeronautics Regulations, constituting a misdemeanor.
Newport Folk Festival and Newport Jazz Festival tickets are now all digital. Tickets will only be delivered via the DICE mobile app and your smartphone will be scanned at the gate. No PDF or paper tickets will be issued. Tickets will be delivered to your mobile phone closer to the event. Only the live ticket QR code from your DICE app on your mobile phone will be accepted at the gate. Screenshots, email confirmation and printouts are not valid.
Important Safety Info
In the event of an emergency, please follow the directions of the event staff and listen for stage announcements. If you are in your car, please tune into WMVY at 96.5FM.
If severe weather is observed in the area, we will make announcements from stage including the severity of the storm, evacuation and/or event suspension procedures.
RAIN OR SHINE
Newport Folk Festival happens rain or shine. Newport weather in the summer can range from 50 degrees and raining to over 90 degrees and humid. Be prepared with sunscreen, sunglasses and raingear. Please stay hydrated by filling up your reusable water bottle at one of our complimentary refillable water stations.
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING
If you experience odd behavior or see something you know shouldn’t be somewhere, say something. Report suspicious behavior to any security, staff, or medical team member.
Please be prepared for heightened security. Safety is of the utmost importance to us. All attendees will be searched upon entering the festival grounds. You will need to empty your pockets, and have all your items examined. If you have an approved-size bag or purse (see Allowed Items), security will examine that as well. If you bring any of the items on the above prohibited items list into the festival, such items will be confiscated and discarded. Under no circumstances will festival management hold any prohibited items for you.
There is a First Aid Care Station staffed by Rhode Island DMAT, located outside of the East Gate. It is staffed each day from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Do not hesitate to visit our medical tents if you need medical attention. Please stay hydrated by filling up your reusable water bottle at one of our complimentary refillable water stations.
Things to Know
BEER & WINE GARDENS
You must be 21+ to enter the beer and wine gardens. IDs will be checked at the garden entrances and 21+ wristbands will be issued. The wristbands are valid all weekend. Cash and credit cards are accepted. Food and non-alcoholic beverages are also available. Beer and wine garden hours are from 12:00 PM to 6:30 PM daily.
Official merchandise can only be purchased during the festival at Fort Adams State Park and via our website. Merchandise sold on-site is unique to this year and only available at the festival, so stop by the booth near the entrance to grab your official 2022 gear!
CAMERAS & RECORDING
Professional audio and video equipment are prohibited, as is audio-capturing. Please be courteous when using your cell phone or non-professional camera (no detachable lenses) to take pictures and video. We encourage you to keep cell phone and camera use to a minimum as to not interfere with others’ experiences. Be present!
COMING WITH CHILDREN?
Children under the age of 10 are free. Only 2 children are allowed per ticketed adult and you must enter through the dedicated child/family gate. Please be prepared to present a photocopy of a birth certificate, passport or other form of age identification for each child. All children 10 and over will need a General Admission ticket. Children 15 & under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Proof of age will be requested.
General Admission tickets provide access to viewing at all stages. The Fort Stage viewing area is uncovered and includes a no chair zone, as well as general admission lawn seating areas. Chairs are not provided for general admission seating areas at the Fort Stage. Patrons may bring blankets or low-backed lawn chairs (under 30”). Limited seating in front of the Quad and Harbor Stages is covered. Seating is first-come, first-served throughout the day in these areas.
NO CHAIR ZONE & CHAIR HEIGHT
There is a dedicated dancing and standing area in front of the Fort Stage. Chairs under 30” high and blankets are allowed outside of this no chair zone and in most other areas of the park. Even though you are welcome to sit down in the standing area between performances, we do not permit blankets, chairs, or other personal items as a means of spot-saving. Chair height will be checked in the chair zones at the Fort Stage and chairs or structures over 30” will be asked to move to the back of the lawn.
ADA SEATING: The venue is fairly flat, allowing for accessibility in the viewing areas. Additionally, we do offer an area at the Fort Stage reserved exclusively for our patrons with disabilities. ADA seating is located in a roped off area to the side of the sound board. This area is accessible by a paved road from the event entrance. Because space is limited, each disabled patron is allowed one guest to accompany. Seating is not provided in this area so guests should bring lawn chairs. The Quad and Harbor Stages each have an area reserved for disabled patrons on a first-come, first-served basis as well.
ADA PARKING: Parking for patrons with disabilities is located in a designated lot at Fort Adams State Park. The standard parking fee applies. When entering Fort Adams State Park, vehicles with patrons needing access to this lot must show their handicapped license plate or placard, or other state-issued identification. The holder of the placard or identification MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle. There will be a shuttle bus fitted with a wheelchair accessible lift to bring patrons from the parking lot to the event entrance, running from 9am until the end of the day. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500.
- All sales are final; no refunds or exchanges for any reason.
- All artists, set times and stages are subject to change. All advertised acts have confirmed their appearance at the Festival. However, acts are subject to change without notice and refunds will not be issued due to artist cancellations.
- Events take place rain or shine. If severe weather becomes a threat and we need to interrupt programming, stage announcements will be made regarding safety procedures. Programming will resume when deemed safe.
- All persons, bags and personal items are subject to inspection before entering the event. Please review accepted and prohibited items.
- Any ticket holder that directly or indirectly interferes with the enjoyment of the event may be asked to leave the venue and may be subject to arrest and prosecution by State/Local Authorities.
- The event will continue to make every effort to ensure socially responsible behavior in order to allow ticket holders to enjoy the event.
- The festivals encourage a smoke-free environment and ask that you respect the health of your neighbors at the event and refrain from smoking in any area where it may affect someone else. Smoking is prohibited under all tents and inside buildings. Please find an isolated area if you must smoke, and dispose of your butts properly.
- Newport Folk Festival allows ADA* recognized service animals trained specifically to assist a person with disabilities at all events. Animals whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA and are not permitted at the festivals. If you have a certified service animal, you will be required to have your service animal with you at all times. Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices.
*Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the definition of “service animal” is limited to a dog (or pony) that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability who is in attendance. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person’s disability. Under the ADA, “comfort,” “therapy” or “emotional support animals” do not meet the definition of a service animal. – U.S. Dept. of Justice
Press: 2023 Press Application Form
Artist Submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Partnerships: all spots are full for 2023
Volunteers: 2023 Volunteer Application Form
Vendors: all spots are full for 2023
More Info: email@example.com
All 2023 memberships are full. Visit the Foundation Tent at this summer’s festival to sign up for 2024 memberships.
- We continue to monitor local COVID-19 trends to meet or exceed current protocols required by the Rhode Island Department of Health. Our health and safety protocols are subject to change.
- If you are positive for COVID-19 and/or have symptoms of COVID-19, do not come to the Festival.
- Self-testing before coming to the Festival is strongly encouraged.
- Even though the Festival is outdoors, we suggest masking in crowds if you are immunocompromised.
- Please follow Rhode Island Department of Health guidelines if you have tested positive for COVID-19 and/or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
GETTING TO FORT ADAMS STATE PARK
Newport Folk Festival is held rain or shine at Fort Adams State Park. Fort Adams is located at 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI, 02840, situated in Narragansett Bay with panoramic views of Newport Harbor. The park is a recreational area preserving Historic Fort Adams, the largest fortress in North America.
For information on riding your bike to Fort Adams, please visit bikenewportri.org/park-bike
BY WATER SHUTTLE
Newport Harbor Shuttle runs continuous service during the Festival between Perotti Park and Fort Adams. It is a 15-minute ferry ride and reservations are not required. Allow extra time to wait in line during peak hours. In case of inclement weather, please check with the ferry company regarding service interruptions. More information can be found here: oldportmarine.com
The Jamestown Newport Ferry runs continuous service to Fort Adams with departures from One East Ferry Wharf in Jamestown and Perotti Park in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with the ferry company regarding service interruptions. More information can be found here: jamestownnewportferry.com/express-events/newport-folk-festival
SeaStreak offers a ferry service between Providence and Newport. Regular service runs from India Point in Providence to the Seastreak Ferry Terminal at 39 America’s Cup Avenue in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with the ferry company regarding service interruptions. More information can be found here: seastreak.com/ferry-routes-and-schedules/between-providence-newport-ri/
Fort Adams State Park is approximately 1.5 hours from Boston and 3.5 hours from New York City. Use the following address in your GPS: 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI, 02840.
There is limited car parking available at Fort Adams State Park. We strongly encourage you to purchase a parking pass in advance. We accept CASH ONLY if you purchase a parking pass day-of at Fort Adams the day of the festival. Please consider the environment and carpool with your friends.
Parking for patrons with disabilities is located within a designated lot. The standard parking fee applies. When entering Fort Adams State Park, vehicles with patrons needing access to this lot must show their handicapped license plate, placard or other state-issued identification. The holder of the placard or identification must be a passenger in the vehicle. There will be a shuttle bus fitted with a wheelchair accessible lift to bring patrons from the parking lot directly to the event entrance, running from 9am until the end of the day. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500.
If you use a ridesharing service such as UBER or LYFT, please follow the signs for designated dropoff and pickup locations. Look for “Ridesharing” signs posted at the entrance to Fort Adams State Park on Harrison Avenue.
For a complete list of Newport lodging properties and general travel information, visit Discover Newport.
4 Commercial Wharf
Newport, RI 02840
25 America’s Cup Avenue, Newport, RI
THE NEWPORT HARBOR HOTEL AND MARINA
49 Americas Cup Avenue, Newport, RI
THE WAYFINDER HOTEL
151 Admiral Kalbfus Road
Newport, RI 02840
No camping is offered through the festival, but there are several campgrounds in the area. To see a map of those closest to Fort Adams, click here.
Insightful information to help plan, explore, and experience Newport and our coastal communities.